Which medical grade polymer is right for you?
We know that material choice is a crucial component of any medical device or device housing. When you're deciding what medical grade polymer you need for your next project, consider these criteria:
- Does it make the grade?
- Will it match the application?
When matching a medical grade of Eastman Tritan™ copolyester to your needs, keep in mind that each medical application has different performance priorities. For example, while opaque medical housings demand a greater level of durability, chemical resistance, color stability, and heat resistance, clear applications—such as fluid management and IV components—also place a high value on clarity.
Eastman provides a range of medical grades of Tritan. Here are some outstanding properties of our clear and opaque formulations of the polymer:
Clear formulations of Tritan:
- Offer greater toughness, heat resistance, processability, and design freedom compared with other copolyesters
- Retain clarity, color stability, and functional integrity after sterilization
- Provide outstanding chemical resistance to lipids, IPA, disinfecting agents, and bonding solvents and adhesives
- Provide excellent functionality and reliability to device housings
- Ensure compatibility with the new reality of aggressive disinfection and the daily impact stresses that come with greater portability
- Retain color and functionality following sterilization with gamma and e-beam irradiation
- Offer reliable color matching—drawing on the expertise of the Eastman Color Technology Center
- Provide flame-retardant properties